Monday, October 19, 2009

Red Beans and Rice

Description: I am from New Orleans. Enough said?! We eat red beans and rice almost every Monday night.

Ingredients:
1 pound of red beans
2 stalks celery, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
2 yellow onions, sliced thin
8 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp. thyme
1 Tbsp. parsley
1 package sausage
1 smoked turkey leg or ham hock
4 cups chicken broth
4 cups water
salt and pepper to taste
Preparation: Wash and pick over beans to remove stones and bad beans. Soak in water for 8-10 hours. Dice sausage and put in large pot. Cook on high heat for about 5 minutes. Add onions, bell pepper, celery and garlic to sausage. Continue to cook until onions turn translucent. Add the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil. Then, reduce heat to medium, cover and cook for 2-4 hours. The longer you cook them, the thicker and creamier your beans will be. Before serving, take the back of a heavy spoon and mash some of the beans against the side of the pot. Then give a good stir before serving over rice. Most southerners serve this with cornbread, but since we can't have corn in our house anymore I serve them with dinner rolls. (A recipe for another day!)
I always make a double batch when I cook this and we get 5 meals out of it when I do that; one for now and four for later. Which means that I only have to cook it once a month and we have beans for every Monday night.

Alterations: My husband likes to put a few dashes of Tabasco on his before he eats, because he likes a little spice. If your family likes food spicier, add a dash or two of cayenne pepper to the pot when you add the other spices.

Rating: As my husband shovels spoonfuls into his mouth before I put the rest away for another meal he gives this meal 5 stars. I hope your crew enjoys it as much as mine does.


No comments:

Post a Comment