Sunday, October 11, 2009

Magic Meatloaf

Description: I call this magic meatloaf because all 5 people in my family clean their plates, ask for seconds and clean their plates again. It is a favorite in our house!
Ingredients:
1 pound ground turkey
1 pound ground meat
2 cups Panko breadcrumbs (Check the ingredient list, the only brand I buy is at Kroger and it is called Panko.)
1/2 cup marinara sauce + 4 Tbsp. marinara (reserved)
1/4 onion chopped, finely diced
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. dried italian seasoning
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 cup carrots, steamed and pureed
1 Tbsp. wheat germ
Preparation: Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients together except for the 4 Tbsp. marinara in large bowl. Shape into loaf. (I use a corningware piece instead of a loaf pan because it tends to cook better that way.) Pour remaining marinara over top and bake in oven for about 1 hour. The internal temperature should be around 155-160 degrees. I cook one large loaf and we eat half of it. So this gives us 2 meals, one to eat and the other to freeze or eat later in the week. (I will publish my marinara recipe this week as well; it is my most requested recipe from friends and family.)

Alternatives: To make this wheat free all you have to do is change out the breadcrumbs and remove the wheat germ. There are rice breadcrumbs called Holgrain found at at Whole Foods that you could use or a wheat free cracker crushed up in the food proccesor.

Rating: This gets 5 stars from my crew, how about yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment