Thursday, October 15, 2009

Pureed Veggies

You will see a lot of pureed veggies in my foods. It is a great way to get extra veggies into your kids diet. I was given a cookbook by the wife of a famous comedian, I am sure you know which one I am talking about ;) We could not use any of the recipes because they all contained something that my son was allergic to. But I loved the idea of including the purees into the foods to give them an extra boost. It has been an amazing journey with some good and some bad combinations. You will only see the good combinations here! After bagging I label and lay flat in the freezer. Once frozen I put them in a basket in the freezer for easy access. I put them in snack bags because it is the perfect size for 1/2 cup of puree. It may seem like a lot of work, but you won't believe how wonderful it feels to know that your kids are getting an additional serving of vegetables with every meal! The first night I did this I had a smirk on my face the entire meal. My husband kept asking me what I was so happy about. I later told him that he had just eaten butternut squash and he was shocked.

Steaming: carrots, squash, broccoli and cauliflower are the vegetables that I steam, puree and freeze in 1/2 cup portions.

Roasting: sweet potatoes, butternut squash and pumpkin are the vegetables that I roast in the oven at 350 until fork tender and then puree and freeze in 1/2 cup portions.

Raw: zucchini, apple (cored and seeded), banana and spinach I puree raw and freeze in 1/2 cup portions.

No comments:

Post a Comment