Monday, January 23, 2012

Crispy Trail Mix Cupcakes

So the title is a little misleading. I did use a muffin tin so they are in the shape of cupcakes, but that is about all. I wanted to make a healthier rice krispy treat for my kids and stumbled across several trail mix rice krispy treats, none of which had ingredients that my kids could eat. So I made one up that my kids could have and it turned out great. I am really excited about them getting home from school today to eat them up, that is if there are any left to eat up!

Ingredients:
3 Tbsp. Earth Balance, soy free
4 cups mini marshmallows
1/2 cup Sunbutter natural sunflower seed spread
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups Nature's Path organic whole grain Crispy Rice
1 cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Oats
1/2 cup organic raisins
1/2 cup organic dried tart cherries
1/2 cup organic raw sunflower seeds

Directions:
Melt Earth Balance over medium heat in large saucepan. Add marshmallows and stir until melted completely. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and sunflower seed spread.
Add Crispy Rice, oats, fruit and seeds. Stir until everything is mixed well. Oil 12 muffin tins and them press mixture down into cups. I also oiled my hands to make sure the mixture did not stick to my hands. Once they firmed up a bit I removed them from the cups and placed them in paper muffin cups. They will sit in my refrigerator until the kids get home from school.

Will, Liam and I all loved it. We will be making this snack over and over again for an after school snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment